A.B.L.E. Awards Nomination Process
"The Association of Black Law Enforcers (A.B.L.E.) awards currently include the A.B.L.E. Scholarships and the President’s Award. This year, A.B.L.E. is excited to launch the expansion of its program, through the establishment of the "A.B.L.E. Awards", a nationwide initiative aimed at honouring the outstanding
achievements of our members within law enforcement."
The A.B.L.E. Awards will be presented in the following categories:
● Rising Star Award – This award will recognize an individual who has less than 10 years of work experience, but who has demonstrated excellence in their field. This person consistently exemplifies professionalism, dedication, and teamwork in their role.
● Community Leadership Award – This award will recognize an individual who has gone above and beyond in serving their community through extensive volunteer work. This person is a true ambassador of their profession, but also a role model who has had a tremendous impact through consistent and dedicated contributions to the communities they serve.
● Teamwork Award – This award will be granted to a team that has performed exceptionally well together in the execution of a project, initiative, program, or in the performance of a specific task or assignment that has had a significant impact on their organization. Teams must have a minimum of 3 members.
● Leadership Excellence – This award will recognize an individual who has displayed
exemplary professionalism over a prolonged period of time. This individual is renowned in their organization as a leader and has displayed a high degree of integrity, commitment, and courage in the performance of their duties.
● Program Innovation Award – This award will be presented to an individual who has
created, developed, or led an initiative that has contributed to public safety, job
improvement, or enhanced community engagement and relations. The program must be unique, innovative, and/or has features that set it apart from other common or comparable programs.
● Trailblazer Award – This award will celebrate an individual who has been a pioneer in their
career and who has made significant contributions to their organization.
Service Recognition: Additionally, A.B.L.E. will recognize Members who have retired after completing a minimum of 25 years in their profession in good standing (as determined by the ABLE President) with a pin in recognition of their service.
To nominate for an A.B.L.E. Award, please provide the following:
(1) A nomination letter from a supervisor, manager, or senior leader within your organization.
(2) A letter of support from a community organization or partner, who can attest to your suitability for the recognition.
(3) A typed statement of not more than 800 words (double-spaced), outlining the following:
(i) Name, Job Title, Organization
(ii) Award that’s being applied for
(iii) Reason why you should be selected to receive one of the above-mentioned awards; and
(4) A professional headshot.
A.B.L.E. may request additional information and/or verify the documentation provided in support of your application.
(1) The nomination and all supporting documents are contained in one PDF; and
(2) You receive an email confirmation that your application package has been received.
Please note that all nomination packages, regardless of the method of submission, must be received by Monday, September 18, 2023, at 4:00 p.m. Late nominations and/or supporting documentation may result in the application being removed from the selection process. Application packages may be submitted in either English or French.
Candidates who are selected will be notified the following week.
We encourage nominations from all corners of the country, and from all civilian and sworn A.B.L.E. Members from various law enforcement agencies (i.e., Police Services, Corrections, Probation and Parole, Border Services, Court Services, By-law Enforcement, Sheriffs, Special Constables, etc.). We look forward to showcasing the inspiring stories and invaluable contributions of our Black law enforcement community.